Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm Scared....

 
When it all comes down to it, I’m scared.  I’m scared that God’s timing is not going to look how I want it to look.  I’m worried, stressed, and the anxiety hanging out in my muscles is enough to tell me a nice massage would be great right now.

15 months ago, Wes and I both got this insane amount of peace regarding international adoption.  In the same week, and individually, we got this sense that we were supposed to start the process to adopt a child from Nepal.  It was crazy.  We had no money, and we had no idea how it was all going to pan out. 

A lot of things have happened in 15 months.  6 months into the process with Nepal, with our dossier already in country, things started to get really sticky with Nepal adoptions.  The U.S. government was handing out warning after warning about adopting from Nepal.  Other countries were closing down their Nepal adoption programs.  It didn’t look good.  After a tortuous few days of praying and discussing, we finally decided to start the process to adopt from Ethiopia.  That was in March of 2010.  On May 20th, our dossier flew away to Ethiopia.  On September 9th we got “the phone call”.  We had been matched with 3 month old twins.  AND, it was a boy and a girl.  God had blown our minds.  Then, we waited 5 tortuous weeks from the time court reopened, to the time we got our court date (I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but when everyone else at your agency has gotten theirs 2 weeks after court reopens, you start thinking that maybe your paperwork got used as a doorstop at the courthouse, and nobody is every going to find it.)  This was the absolute WORST part of the wait for me.  I think it was especially hard because our agency didn’t know it was going to take that long either, so they kept saying, “Surely it will be tomorrow.”  There were a lot of “tomorrows” in the wait, which make it WAY worse.  This was due to NO fault of their own.  They had no control over the wait once it was submitted to court.  As a matter of fact, our agency has been supremely thorough about EVERYTHING which makes me feel a whole heck of a lot better about the whole process.

And here I sit today, in front of this computer screen, realizing we are a mere 3 weeks away from our departure for Ethiopia.  And yes….I am scared.  At least that’s the best way I know how to describe how I am feeling right now.  This past week I have been a bundle of nerves, which is not the norm for me.  I am usually pretty level-headed, and a fairly positive person.  I always try to see the good in every situation, which at times really annoys people.  I’ll admit it.   But….that’s not me right now. 

I’m convinced that blogging, and reading other adoption blogs is both a blessing and a curse.  I have been reading the blogs in my blog list daily for the last 9 months or so.  I have gotten to know different mothers and fathers.  Some of them I have even become good friends with.  The support of this community has been a rock for me in times of uncertainty.  It has been a constant.  Everyone has cheered for us with every milestone we have passed.  Our friends here in Lexington have gone to Queen of Sheba & Outback Steakhouse for more milestone celebrations than I care to admit.  It has been amazing.

But now that we are close to the end of our wait, I read these blogs and hang on to them like a lifeline.  This is where the “curse” part comes in.  There have been several families who have encountered delays in their process.  Court dates have been changed, important papers have gone missing, and some have even had referrals withdrawn.  It is daunting to say the least.  And that’s when I get scared.  I think, “What if this happens to us?  What makes us so special?  We aren’t any better than the rest of these families?  We haven’t prayed more, or earned more spiritual points.  We are just like everyone else.”  Worry and stress abound, and I am lost in a see of fear.  I start thinking, “What if the birth mother comes back for them?  What if our case is delayed?  What if we have to wait months or even years to bring them home?  What if we don’t have enough money?”  Yeah, I’ve been thinking ALL of these things all week now.  It has not been very edifying. 

Which brings me to this very moment, to the here and now.  And right now, I’m going to take a step beyond every one of these feelings and declare what I know to be true….

Our God is faithful.  He has provided every single penny for every single part of this process.  We have never lacked at all.  When roadblocks in this journey came up (there are still things I have not shared on this blog about our adoption process, but don’t worry, the time will come when I will), He told us, “It will be okay.  Just trust me.  I will take care of everything.”  And He did.  I can’t count the tears of joy I have cried over this past year, but every one of those tears is due to the miraculous and amazing God I call Father.  So now, in the midst of my fear and worry, I can still say that He is Lord, and He is above all things.  What if there is a delay?  He is still good, and He is still in control.  What if the birth mother comes back for them?  God is still good, and He is still in control. 

I am not in control of any of this.  Wes is not in control of any of this.  The only thing we have control over is the way we choose to respond to the roadblocks and bumps that come our way.  That doesn’t mean we can’t be sad at times, or that we can’t hurt.  We have done that plenty, and no matter what happens, we will still have times where hurt and sadness overwhelm us.  In the end, though, I choose to place my hope and trust in the One who has provided for every last thing in my life….the One who has never failed, and the One who has always been faithful to pour out His love and joy in the most difficult moments. I hope that I’m not coming across as some goody two-shoes, or a super spiritual nut.   I’m not.  I hurt just as much as the next person when difficult things come my way, and sometimes I forget that God really is in control and has my best interests at heart.  But I don’t ever want to lose hope.  I don’t want my life to be all about me.  I want it to count for something, no matter what happens.

So in the midst of my pain, I will still cry out to the One who saved me from an eternity without Him.  I will still trust in His goodness, no matter how dreadful the circumstances seem around me.   I will remember that this adoption was His idea in the first place.  I will remember that He has provided all the money to cover this adoption.  I will remember that He has kept our babies safe and healthy in their orphanage while we wait to meet them.

I love my God so much, and I know that He loves me without limits.  That is the only thing in life that I could never bear to lose.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you. It's been six weeks since we got our referral and still no court date. I get scared too. I worry too much. I check my email and my phone non-stop hoping for some good news. I realize this is all out of my control. I pray and hope that we don't lose our baby girl or that nothing horrible and dramatic happens as we wait to be united. I too rely on God and daily submit to his time line, trust in his sovereignty, admit that his perspective is bigger and better than mine, and choose to receive the peace he so freely gives. but it is still hard. I'm with you. I feel for you. Crying out to our God together with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Friend! I think about Mercy all the time, and Erik & JA's little ones. Some day soon we will all be sipping coffee (or a peppermint mocha for me), babies in their high chairs, reminiscing about all the craziness that was this adoption. Man I can't wait for that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, I completely identify with your feelings here. I feel a bit frustrated right now- moving internationally after our dossier was already in Ethiopia. It doesn't make sense to me and I want to throw my hands up to God and say "WHY? Why now?" but I can't- I just have to trust Him and His timing. He's in control, even when it feels a bit like no one is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!!! You do not sound like a goody two shoes.

    Our son is home from Bulgaria now 2 months. We followed blogs all around us with all sorts of setbacks and mishaps, especiallt towards the end after referral. In some ways we were waiting for our setback. For whatever reason God didn't have us go through some of these. Don't get me wrong, we had a few disruptions too like country change and getting our hopes up for one child only to have it fall through in the beginning. But for some reason those didn't seem as bad as when others were asked for more information and court had to be postponed.

    We knew God called us to adopt, so we put our hope in Him. We had to trust Him no matter what. Yes, we had moments of worry, but ultimitately we knew He was in control and that He works all things for the good for those of us who love him. Whatever was to happen it was for the good. That's where our hope is, not in man, not in agencies, but in God. Some things we were able to see why they happened. The country change was hard, but we would not have found our son because he was not in Albania, he was in Bulgaria. Some other things we may not know why they happened, but again we have to trust God and believe that He is good and faithful and trustworthy.

    I hope this encourages you. I know you don't have a clue who we are. We found out about you through the Waggoners blog. We followed them because originally we were adopting through Albania until Bethany closed the program. We read an excerpt from your blog and now keep following because we want to hear the end of this amazing story, or the beginning of another story, whichever you prefer to call it.
    God bless you!!!!! Enjoy your babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and Amen!

    So well said. Exactly how most of us feel. It's all a crazy adventure with a divine purpose.

    Prayers for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel total peace that you will pass court with no complications. Just three weeks and you will hold your babies in your arms. God is good
    Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you know who is in control! Do not fear, he is the LOrd!!!! Praying all goes smoothly for you guys, but even if it doesn't to God be the Glory! Easy for me to say, we are not in process right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful to know that God is in control. You are a support and help to so many going through this same thing, thanks for all your words of wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you to all my wonderful bloggy friends! It is so encouraging to get so much positive feedback, and to know once again that I am not alone in this. I LOVE the comments, and can't get enough of them! I seriously love you all, and please know that all your words of encouragement seriously helped!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I was in a real need of some inspirational uplifting today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nina,
    Keep writing and praying -- you two (four!) are surrounded by prayer warriors battling on your behalf.
    Love,
    s :)!

    ReplyDelete